Anderson Propane is a family-owned and operated company that has served as a complete propane provider for families, businesses, and builders for more than 20 years in the Fredericksburg area. We are looking to hire a Full-time Service Technician starting immediately at our Fredericksburg warehouse location.
We are looking for a team player with strengths in customer service, organization, and industry specific skills. The applying individual must be able to multitask and perform in a busy, fast-paced, and diversified environment while remaining personable, self-motivated, and eager to work with the public. We offer an excellent opportunity in a pleasant working environment with company benefits.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Perform installations, maintenance, and repairs (including safety checks) of propane systems, appliances, tanks, and equipment.
- Strictly adhere to government regulations and Anderson Propane’s operating procedures while working independently and in a team environment to offer the best possible customer experience.
- Provide hands-on explanations and technical guidance of any new or updated products/services to our customers.
- Must be organized as the day may consist of varied tasks, installations, training, and much more.
- Prepare records, logs, and other related documents to administration in an accurate and neat manner.
- Maintain complete and up-to-date files on manuals, service bulletins, and parts inventory.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area by keeping tools, equipment, and supplies in proper places.
- Perform work safely as to not cause harm to yourself, customers and property, co-workers, equipment, and inventory. A technician should utilize Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required.
- Must operate equipment and vehicles according to Anderson Propane’s policy and government regulations including OSHA regulations, Anderson Propane Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) standards, and other work rules and policies.
- Service Technicians and all employees are required to use PPE equipment (masks) and practice safe sanitary practices during the current Covid-19 pandemic per the regulations as adopted by the state of Virginia.
- Must be familiar with and able to use mobile devices including phones, GPS equipment, tablets, and printers to access documents and information quickly as well as communicate with staff via phone or electronic mail and messaging.
- Work with customers to determine the scope of service needed, recommend the right product or direction to solve the customer’s problem.
- Monitor industry products and participate in specialized training/certification courses to understand customer needs.
- Effectively operate and maintain Anderson Propane Service motor vehicles in compliance with government regulations and our company’s motor vehicle safety policy.
- *This position requires a valid Virginia Driver’s License. You will be required to complete our company Motor Vehicle Report Consent Form or provide a copy of your Motor Vehicle Record prior to the interview process. All service technician’s driving records are monitored regularly to maintain standards of Anderson Propane’s driver policy.*
Education and Experience
- High school diploma, general education degree (GED), or equivalent required.
- Requires two (2) or more years of experience with installation and repair of propane-based heating systems, equipment, and appliances.
- Requires two (2) or more years of experience driving with valid Virginia driver’s license. Current Motor Vehicle Report detailing driving record within company standards.
- General knowledge of tools and home construction recommended.
- Effective knowledge of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and/or pipe fitting repair and maintenance.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to calmly and effectively work with time constraints and deadlines.
- Able to demonstrate teamwork and flexibility to meet customer and business needs.
- Calibrate equipment to proper settings. Effectively utilize mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and other specialized skills and the appropriate tools as determined by the job.
- Read and effectively interpret electrical and mechanical blueprints, manuals, engineering specifications, diagrams, meters, gauges, and control panels to perform installations and repair equipment.
- Gather and analyze information to diagnose malfunctions and troubleshoot systems.
- Depending upon job specifications, a service technician may load and deliver supplies of propane according to standard operating procedures. Handle and lift canisters into truck and/or utilize load hose, meters, gauges, and terminal controls for bulk fuel loading (top load and bottom load). Obtain distribution of fuel from Anderson’s plant facility.
Service Technicians perform essential job functions in various environments, including:
- Driving a commercial motor vehicle
- Working outdoors at a customer site where one may not be protected from weather conditions
- In a warehouse environment subject to seasonal temperatures and humidity
Frequently exposed to hazards including:
- Heating oil, kerosene, diesel, gasoline, butane, and/or liquid propane, and related odors and fumes
- Moving mechanical parts and vehicles
- Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE Plan
- Dust, wet surfaces, vibrations, and electrical current
Schedule requirements will vary during peak and off-peak seasons. Extended hours may be required to provide 24/7 on-call or Emergency Service Standby. Ability to report to work on time and in adverse weather conditions is required.
Physical Activities & Requirements
This role requires continuous physical activity to perform essential job functions for the duration of the shift.
Service technicians must be able to perform the following:
- Continuously bend, crouch, stoop
- Drive motorized equipment
- Finger and handle controls, tools, and equipment
- Reach with arms and hands for extended periods while driving and operating equipment
- Stand and walk for extended periods on uneven surfaces
- Utilize hands in repetitive motion
- Utilize eye/hand/foot coordination
- Twist back and neck
- Frequently balance, kneel, stack, sweep or climb steps throughout the shift
- Pull, push, lift, and carry up to 50 pounds
- Occasionally, pull, push, lift, and carry 80-100 pounds with assistance
- Depending upon location, may pull or push propane tanks (170+ pounds) utilizing handcart and move large equipment for installation
- Hear vehicle/equipment sounds, co-workers, and radio.
- Speak to co-workers and customers regarding operations and safety
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
The starting wage for this position is $17-$22 per hour, but based on experience level; wages will be determined for the full-time position. Health, Life and Disability insurance are available along with other medical benefits and 401K retirement options. New employees are awarded paid holidays immediately with vacation and sick leave granted after time employed.
How to Apply
Please complete and submit the Driver Application and your DMV record via one of the options below. A resume and professional references are strongly encouraged.
Anderson Propane Service, Inc.
Attn: Job Hiring Team
PO Box 300
Fredericksburg, VA 22404
Fax – (540) 899-0678
Email – [email protected]
After your driver’s application and motor vehicle record are received, our hiring team will review and contact you if interested.
Anderson Propane Service, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, gender, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or other protected classification.